Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by master of none
We have the 3 in 2 for a select few in our school system. I'm sure there are MANY kids who can benefit, but it's traditionally been super secret for just a few kids. It's once per week for 7-8 grades, and parents have to provide transport.
The program has been in place for many years so isn't new for common core. And for kids who are identified as needing more, there's alg1/geom/alg2/another high school math class, so they get 4 classes in 6-8.

For the kids in it, it seems to work well. My DS is in high school GT alg2 (not compressed) and my DD is in the compressed class now doing alg2. There is a huge difference. DD gets enrichment, and only does the last 1 or 2 sections of challenge problems in the textbook. DS in GT alg2 in 9th grade does only the first section of problems-- none of the ones labeled application or critical thinking or challenge.
No one ever confused me with an egalitarian, but a public school requiring parents to provide transport for a core academic subject such as math is unfair and perhaps illegal. My wife and I work full time, but we'd find some way to transport our children if we thought the program were worthwhile. Do you tell the qualified students whose parents cannot or will not transport them, "tough luck"?
On that vein I have been pushing that the district has to offer an acceleration program other than summer school. I'm OK with summer school being an optional way to accelerate, but I don't believe it should be the ONLY option available.