Originally Posted by nicoledad
If you had a gifted kid in junior high shouldn't your kid already be beyond common core? All the gifted in junior high (7th and 8th)in our district will have at the minimum completed Algebra 1 and Geometry by the end of 8th grade.
Not necessarily, Common Core Standards exist all the way through "most" High School math. These standards say what should be taught all the way through Algebra II (H.S. Math 3 -- for average 11th graders). And while yes some of the PG/HG kids might be even beyond this in junior high those are really the outliers.

You might just not be seeing the changes yet. My district has just moved the junior high math, and it will follow those kids into High School. So while by the 'old system' yes most gifted kids took Algebra I in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th grade. (And one or two outliers, took Algebra in 5th or 6th) This system is changing. Common Core math curriculum does not encorage skipping classes, added this Common Core 8th grade class. This is going to be a HARD SELL in my district, because there are lots of people who just expect that the most advanced course of math gets them through Geometry in 8th grade. (This is what my son did.)

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/03/14 05:50 PM.