Originally Posted by nicoledad
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Originally Posted by nicoledad
If you had a gifted kid in junior high shouldn't your kid already be beyond common core? All the gifted in junior high (7th and 8th)in our district will have at the minimum completed Algebra 1 and Geometry by the end of 8th grade.
Not necessarily, Common Core Standards exist all the way through "most" High School math. These standards say what should be taught all the way through Algebra II (H.S. Math 3 -- for average 11th graders). And while yes some of the PG/HG kids might be even beyond this in junior high those are really the outliers.
But aren't all PG/HG kids really outliers? My daughter who is a 7th grader has Geometry (with mostly 8th graders)and her teacher told us on curriculum night that there is no need to worry about common core. At her jr high and probably at the other 4 in her district I would guess 10 percent of 8th graders take Geometry. While I do understand in the future junior high gifted kids may be held back by common core it seems kids who are in junior high now will not. IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.
Yes my son (who's a H.S. sophomore) & quite probably your daughter won't be affected by Common Core. I'm asking about this because I am a parent volunteer on a committee for how to handle this transition in the future. Well now really since my district is implementing Common Core in the junior high and then it's following those kids into High School. So next year the High School will have their first Common Core aligned math classes.

Yes you are right all PG/HG kids are outliers but not all of them are strong in math. And some may have issues like my son with slower processing speeds. (My DS isn't PG perhaps borderline if we are talking about math.) Not all PG/HG kids are good at the same things, so I don't want to say they ALL want to be years ahead in math.

So the question becomes if your daughter had to do common core math, how would you like her to become accelerated given that nothing in the K-12 curriculum can be 'skipped'. At what point would be best for the subject matter to be taught faster. My experience tells me for kids gifted in math is it's really at the elementary level.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/04/14 12:20 AM.