Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
For those here who's kids have been taking a compressed version of common core math how is it working for your gifted kids? I'm mostly interested at the junior high & high school level, but if anyone's school system has added compressed math for elementary school that would also be relevant. Please include details like what grades they are compacting, if they felt they were missing information, or is going too slow.

For those who don't know what compression means. Common core isn't a spiral curriculum, so skipping isn't recommended for acceleration. Instead it's recommended for the fastest kids to take compacted classes. Pushing 7/8/9th grade in two junior years. Or 9/10/11th (Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II) in two years. These are the two more common configurations. As I've posted earlier 8th grade math is a new class, that includes part of what was per-algebra, what used to be the first 3-4 chapters of algebra & a few chapters from geometry. The official documents from my states does not recommend compaction before 7th grade.

I'm asking this because I am on a committee that is trying to figure how to change math tracking for my school district in response to thew new common core math curriculum for 7-12th grade. Many of the junior high teachers feel very strongly that they want to eliminate tracking in junior high, although I don't think that will happen. Too many very bright and advanced mathematicians in my school district. One of the things we are trying to figure out is a way to add more entry points into the advanced tracks, for a kid who wasn't ready for advanced math at 12 but might be at 15.

I know several posters were discussing this as an issue last spring/summer.
Our district has pathways for kids to take Algebra any year between 6th and 9th grade. However, there is no attention to formal compaction. So what tends to happen for late entry into the upper pathways is that kids will take a summer course at the university to cover a missing years worth of material before sixth grade.

We've actually had the opposite problem of the above post though. Algebra II in 8th grade has not always been at the same standard as when its taught in high school due to the quality of the teachers.

Originally Posted by master of none
We have the 3 in 2 for a select few in our school system. I'm sure there are MANY kids who can benefit, but it's traditionally been super secret for just a few kids. It's once per week for 7-8 grades, and parents have to provide transport.
The program has been in place for many years so isn't new for common core. And for kids who are identified as needing more, there's alg1/geom/alg2/another high school math class, so they get 4 classes in 6-8.

For the kids in it, it seems to work well. My DS is in high school GT alg2 (not compressed) and my DD is in the compressed class now doing alg2. There is a huge difference. DD gets enrichment, and only does the last 1 or 2 sections of challenge problems in the textbook. DS in GT alg2 in 9th grade does only the first section of problems-- none of the ones labeled application or critical thinking or challenge.
No one ever confused me with an egalitarian, but a public school requiring parents to provide transport for a core academic subject such as math is unfair and perhaps illegal. My wife and I work full time, but we'd find some way to transport our children if we thought the program were worthwhile. Do you tell the qualified students whose parents cannot or will not transport them, "tough luck"?
It's hard to know for sure, as our school is quite opaque and close-mouthed when it comes to questioning the math curriculum; also, they don't really follow any one textbook but use a lot of district-designed materials, so it's hard for me to know where units would traditionally fit, etc. For example, DS's 7th grade math has already covered several algebra units, they also do a bit of geometry, graphing, etc. DDs geometry class just spent a while on some trigonometry, etc- as you noted, the common core units are aligned differently.

I *think* our school is offering compacted 8th and 9th (algebra), though they don't call it that. All kids are together through 7th, then there is a split, where more than half the kids take common core algebra in 8th, the remainder take common core math 8 and then algebra in 9th. My DD took common core algebra last year, and I assume it was a compaction of math 8 and algebra, though as noted I am not certain. Overall, I think it was ok. It was unbearably slow moving for her, though, despite over-the-top warnings from all the counselors and math teachers about how fast-paced it would be. Just lots of repetition and review for her, but DD is an outlier in this class. I think it was a stretch for some kids, (hence the repetition and review) but the exam scores were generally considered good. There were a couple of minor topics that the class did not cover before the common core exam (but because there was nearly a month between their common core exam and their regents exam, they covered the material then; I don't recall what topics they were, and as I said they were considered minor).

This is the only real "tracking" point our math program has- kids can then take honors or regents level (or remedial) classes, based on teacher recommendations (which are easily and frequently over-ridden by a parent request, so essentially all kids can take honors math if they choose). As an aside, this is quite evident in honors geometry, where about half my DDs class is sophomores (meaning they didn't take algebra in 8th grade, the path the stronger math students would take). Ugh. According to DD, they struggle. Lots of use of the tutoring provided in the school's learning center and reportedly of outside tutors as well. Thankfully, the aforementioned repetition and review are much less in this class, and the pace is better (though still slow for DD).
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by master of none
We have the 3 in 2 for a select few in our school system. I'm sure there are MANY kids who can benefit, but it's traditionally been super secret for just a few kids. It's once per week for 7-8 grades, and parents have to provide transport.
The program has been in place for many years so isn't new for common core. And for kids who are identified as needing more, there's alg1/geom/alg2/another high school math class, so they get 4 classes in 6-8.

For the kids in it, it seems to work well. My DS is in high school GT alg2 (not compressed) and my DD is in the compressed class now doing alg2. There is a huge difference. DD gets enrichment, and only does the last 1 or 2 sections of challenge problems in the textbook. DS in GT alg2 in 9th grade does only the first section of problems-- none of the ones labeled application or critical thinking or challenge.
No one ever confused me with an egalitarian, but a public school requiring parents to provide transport for a core academic subject such as math is unfair and perhaps illegal. My wife and I work full time, but we'd find some way to transport our children if we thought the program were worthwhile. Do you tell the qualified students whose parents cannot or will not transport them, "tough luck"?
On that vein I have been pushing that the district has to offer an acceleration program other than summer school. I'm OK with summer school being an optional way to accelerate, but I don't believe it should be the ONLY option available.
Originally Posted by cricket3
It's hard to know for sure, as our school is quite opaque and close-mouthed when it comes to questioning the math curriculum; also, they don't really follow any one textbook but use a lot of district-designed materials, so it's hard for me to know where units would traditionally fit, etc. For example, DS's 7th grade math has already covered several algebra units, they also do a bit of geometry, graphing, etc. DDs geometry class just spent a while on some trigonometry, etc- as you noted, the common core units are aligned differently.
This is what my district is doing as well. The explanation I've been given is that there aren't any GOOD common core materials out there, and our district works on a 7 year cycle replacing text books and it's not time yet. So they are implementing common core by using a variety of materials they already own.
To meet acceleration needs, tracking with fluid track changes, remediation, common core, and existing materials, then I think they need to consider a radical departure.

Teach to One:
http://www.newclassrooms.org/reimagine.html

This program is really impressive, the results are particularly powerful for kids striving to succeed. Without a change from the traditional linear classroom, it would be hard to move out of ruts.

Also, they could be looking at digital textbooks (aka techbooks) as the good ones will be dynamically maintained, allow for self-assessment, compacting, additional practice, and still meet the common core thinking needs.

If none of that, then they could implement a math learner model they are working towards that splits curriculum into internally consistent dependency tracks so that a kid can move along more than one track concurrently.

In terms of the direct experience with compacting question, DS8 doesn't have experience with middle school math and likely never will as he's moving onto high school algebra.
Well I did hear there was an enlightened high school somewhere that let kids compact years 9 and 10 (grades8 and 9) but it may have been an urban myth.
If you had a gifted kid in junior high shouldn't your kid already be beyond common core? All the gifted in junior high (7th and 8th)in our district will have at the minimum completed Algebra 1 and Geometry by the end of 8th grade.
My oldest is not yet in the higher grades, I only know what the parents of the elder gifted students tell me about how 7th-12th grade. Much consternation, here, though, in light of the changes.

Our schools used to have 4-6th grade math compacted into 2 years, prior to the Common Core. Now this type of "acceleration" is thought to be a big no-no until 7th grade under our schools' interpretation of the Common Core.

In reality, I've come to believe that SOME of the 4th-6th graders (a subset of the previously accelerated group) DO need a compacted curriculum, while others would probably be fine with the slower approach the schools are now taking. The problem for my DD is that they have decided to slow down ALL of the students in the previously accelerated group. DD is left feeling as though the entire year so far has been review.

Meanwhile, I am aware that DD's experience is NOT the experience of all of the students in her math group - some have been so challenged by the new curriculum, that they have asked to be allowed to go back to "regular" math.

From what I hear of the older grades (7-12), many of the students were already accelerated. SOME of these students have gaps in knowledge/understanding. The school feels these students need to be slowed down, while other are starting high school in the higher level courses.

The way they have explained it to us, the future REGULAR course math students will be in many ways AHEAD of the previous years' students, because of the challenge of the new curriculum. From our perspective, it is a bit difficult to understand why this is so.

Actually, the Common Core could ultimately hasten our need for a request for acceleration. I think that DD would have perhaps been fine in the accelerated class (that no longer exists), but the "new version" is exacerbating the fact that she needs something different.
Originally Posted by nicoledad
If you had a gifted kid in junior high shouldn't your kid already be beyond common core? All the gifted in junior high (7th and 8th)in our district will have at the minimum completed Algebra 1 and Geometry by the end of 8th grade.

Well, in our area, and from what I understand, a lot of places in the northeast, there is NO acceleration or tracking in math (or any other areas in our school). Just not allowed, don't get me started.

And common core algebra, middle school math for most here, actually includes a lot of algebra (though a fair amount is covered before the actual algebra class),some geometry, and bits of trig and algebra 2- it's not really directly comparable.
Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
To meet acceleration needs, tracking with fluid track changes, remediation, common core, and existing materials, then I think they need to consider a radical departure.

Teach to One:
http://www.newclassrooms.org/reimagine.html

This program is really impressive, the results are particularly powerful for kids striving to succeed. Without a change from the traditional linear classroom, it would be hard to move out of ruts.

Also, they could be looking at digital textbooks (aka techbooks) as the good ones will be dynamically maintained, allow for self-assessment, compacting, additional practice, and still meet the common core thinking needs.

If none of that, then they could implement a math learner model they are working towards that splits curriculum into internally consistent dependency tracks so that a kid can move along more than one track concurrently.

In terms of the direct experience with compacting question, DS8 doesn't have experience with middle school math and likely never will as he's moving onto high school algebra.

This does look really interesting. It doesn't sound like they've really worked all the kinks out yet though.

"Perhaps even more surprising was the performance of those students who came in “at grade level” and “above grade level” prior to engaging in the TtO program. “At grade level” students gained virtually the same amount of growth as the national average. “Above grade level” students performed even worse, falling short of the national average with a ratio of 0.89 to 1.

Rose has been careful to note the areas for TtO’s furthered improvement particularly as the program grows. This year, more than 6,000 students will engage in the TtO program, nearly double the number of students from the year before.

Rose believes that this issue was linked to hesitation on the TtO staff’s part to aggressively challenge the higher-performing students. “We have come to believe that we were simply too conservative in how we generated unique schedules for [the above average] student population,” Rose admitted. “Recently, we’ve been more aggressive with our progressions.” What does this look like in practice? High-scoring students will rotate to more challenging, high-level activities at a quicker pace."

I'd love to see an effective implementation in the future. In theory especially in schools with enough classes per grade this seems promising.
Used to be in our district...

Standard Path: 6th grade math, 7th grade math, 8th grade math ( consisting of pre-algebra), 9th grade algebra, 10th grade geometry, then continue on with math in a college prep direction (algebra II, Pre-calc) or continue on with math in alternate classes or continue on in math trying to redo the required algebra and geometry which is required to graduate (so trying to pass EOCs)

More of an Honors path: 6th grade honors math, 7th grade honors math (consisting of pre-algebra), 8th algebra, 9th geometry and then continue on in a college prep direction

Those used to be only choices and if you wanted to go beyond that you needed to take a class online to get ahead. And there was nothing slower (so no pre-algebra in 9th grade...all 9th graders have to be in at least algebra)

Now there is an additional path (just in time for my younger son):
6th grade: 6th grade math and pre-algebra together, 7th grade: algebra, 8th grade geometry and 9th grade continue on in college prep direction.
Our high school district is like that but they are supposedly adding an official additional path which we've seen on paper but not in a course book. Algebra would be in 6th grade and continue on in order. It's something that had to be done since the elementary and middle school district are different than the high school district and the gifted kids in junior high are taking Geometry in 7th grade. On this track kids take multivariable calculus junior year thus completing 2.5 years of calculus.
Originally Posted by bluemagic
it's recommended for the fastest kids to take compacted classes. Pushing 7/8/9th grade in two junior years. Or 9/10/11th (Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II) in two years. The official documents from my states does not recommend compaction before 7th grade.

I think it is easier to compact before Algebra I. If not, even MG kids willl be bored stiff in elementary years. The new common core dig deeper in Algebra 1, Geometry, etc.. and I may not want to compact those. I would compact prealgebra and start Algebra I at 7th grade for Gifted kids. Perhaps, a few PG kids may join that class in 6th grade. Besides, there aren't enough students (typical school district) who can handle Algebra I, II and Geometry in 2 years in a typical school setting (with lots of homework).

Some kids in the neighborhood did this; they study one of core classes (Algebra II or Geometry) on their own, take the test and get the credit. It may have been attributed by the desire to skip the teacher who teaches Algebra II in HS(bad teaching and >1 hr homework per day).
Originally Posted by BenjaminL
I'd love to see an effective implementation in the future. In theory especially in schools with enough classes per grade this seems promising.

Me too. It is in a STEM themed middle school here, but this was their first year and I have not seen EOG stats yet for them. But those are focused on passing, which isn't the concern with us?

The setup at the school is really neat; I spoke to some teachers there over the summer. They said it took them a bit to figure it out but then it really got rolling. With 12 math teachers for 700 students, it would be inexcusable not to field at least one teacher who can cover the top end of material. It also (theoretically) means that any kid can run ahead in areas they grok, gifted or not.
Not necessarily, Common Core Standards exist all the way through "most" High School math. These standards say what should be taught all the way through Algebra II (H.S. Math 3 -- for average 11th graders). And while yes some of the PG/HG kids might be even beyond this in junior high those are really the outliers.

You might just not be seeing the changes yet. My district has just moved the junior high math, and it will follow those kids into High School. So while by the 'old system' yes most gifted kids took Algebra I in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th grade. (And one or two outliers, took Algebra in 5th or 6th) This system is changing. Common Core math curriculum does not encorage skipping classes, added this Common Core 8th grade class. This is going to be a HARD SELL in my district, because there are lots of people who just expect that the most advanced course of math gets them through Geometry in 8th grade. (This is what my son did.)
Originally Posted by Peter
I think it is easier to compact before Algebra I. If not, even MG kids willl be bored stiff in elementary years. The new common core dig deeper in Algebra 1, Geometry, etc.. and I may not want to compact those. I would compact prealgebra and start Algebra I at 7th grade for Gifted kids. Perhaps, a few PG kids may join that class in 6th grade. Besides, there aren't enough students (typical school district) who can handle Algebra I, II and Geometry in 2 years in a typical school setting (with lots of homework).

School District and formal documentation from the state discourage compacting before 6/7th grade. I know.. I don't necessarily agree with this. And while I agree with you that compacting that goes into elementary would be useful, it's not really on the table. I have heard (through this board) that other schools are compacting 7/8/9th for junior high. This takes you through pre-algebra, grade 8, and algebra I class. This includes a few chapters of geometry and some of what used to be algebra II by the end of 8th. Instead of the old system where these kids did Algebra I & Geometry by 8th grade. I think most kids who are gifted in math can handle this. Many of the kids in the honors elementary program will probably already see some pre-algebra anyway.

Another huge issue on the table is allowing "track" movement, ie.. a way for those kids who didn't hit whatever cutoff at 12/13 but took off once they are older (they do exist) to have a chance to get into the highest level math courses including Calculus before graduating. This is big because in order to keep these compacted classes down to just those kids who really are ready to handle it, another alternative towards Calculus before college needs to be available. The new Common Core standards taking they way they are designed doesn't get kids to Calculus and for most average kids that is OK.. it's really only important to those wanting to go into STEM & maybe bushiness in College.

As to numbers of kids, our district HAS those numbers of kids. (Our H.S. wins national math competitions partly because of the number of gifted math kids.) There were 90+ kid taking Geometry in 8th grade at my son's junior high (big junior high), and there were two 7th graders in that class. We do have a large number of kids who's parents at least WANT them to do this. Not sure if it's good for all of them. The more kid who are pushed to do this causes a backlash from the teachers because they get frustrated trying to teach kids who aren't really ready.
Not necessarily, Common Core Standards exist all the way through "most" High School math. These standards say what should be taught all the way through Algebra II (H.S. Math 3 -- for average 11th graders). And while yes some of the PG/HG kids might be even beyond this in junior high those are really the outliers.
But aren't all PG/HG kids really outliers? My daughter who is a 7th grader has Geometry (with mostly 8th graders)and her teacher told us on curriculum night that there is no need to worry about common core. At her jr high and probably at the other 4 in her district I would guess 10 percent of 8th graders take Geometry. While I do understand in the future junior high gifted kids may be held back by common core it seems kids who are in junior high now will not. IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.
But aren't all PG/HG kids really outliers? My daughter who is a 7th grader has Geometry (with mostly 8th graders)and her teacher told us on curriculum night that there is no need to worry about common core. At her jr high and probably at the other 4 in her district I would guess 10 percent of 8th graders take Geometry. While I do understand in the future junior high gifted kids may be held back by common core it seems kids who are in junior high now will not. IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.
Yes my son (who's a H.S. sophomore) & quite probably your daughter won't be affected by Common Core. I'm asking about this because I am a parent volunteer on a committee for how to handle this transition in the future. Well now really since my district is implementing Common Core in the junior high and then it's following those kids into High School. So next year the High School will have their first Common Core aligned math classes.

Yes you are right all PG/HG kids are outliers but not all of them are strong in math. And some may have issues like my son with slower processing speeds. (My DS isn't PG perhaps borderline if we are talking about math.) Not all PG/HG kids are good at the same things, so I don't want to say they ALL want to be years ahead in math.

So the question becomes if your daughter had to do common core math, how would you like her to become accelerated given that nothing in the K-12 curriculum can be 'skipped'. At what point would be best for the subject matter to be taught faster. My experience tells me for kids gifted in math is it's really at the elementary level.
Originally Posted by Loy58
Our schools used to have 4-6th grade math compacted into 2 years, prior to the Common Core. Now this type of "acceleration" is thought to be a big no-no until 7th grade under our schools' interpretation of the Common Core.

This is not just your school district. It comes straight from Common Core. I have been reading a Common Core document that is published by the CA State Board of Education, that is badly copied from a MA state document. It clearly states that compaction should not take place until 7th grade. And then makes suggestions as to 7/8/9 or 9/10/11 compaction plans.

I'm not sure I like it either. My son effectively skipped 4th grade math and it was very easy for him. But that was back when math spiraled and his whole class did this entire grade "skip".
FWIW, our district has made some changes up through Algebra II as we align with common core (or at least I assume the changes were due to our district's decision to adopt common core - it's a little weird in that there was a lot of publicity about common core when the decision was made a few years ago, but the way the post-adopt-common-core math curriculum changes were explained doesn't refer to common core, just to a "recent change" in curriculum specs lol.

Answering the question "where is it best to compact? For kids who are good at math, I'd do it asap starting in early elementary. All I've seen over and over again in elementary school curriculums is spiral spiral spiral (no matter the curriculum used). My middle school dds are now using a math series of textbooks that are relatively new and I believe intended to follow common core, and I'll be honest - I wouldn't know where to start skipping over things, or compacting, or whatever... because the math books skip all over the replace, then repeat things that they learned years ago. Sometimes I honestly feel like my kids should have just skipped their entire elementary math program, it's that crazy-jumbled-up!

Sorry, I don't have much help to offer smile

polarbear
our district starts compacting in 3rd grade. The kids will complete 3-4-5-6 grade math in 3 years (complete in 5th grade) and then 7-8 grade math in 6th grade. They then take algebra in 7th and geometry in 8th. The magnet program compacts a year quicker for most kids (I do know of a 5th grader in algebra this year). So they have algebra II in 8th grade.

So the question becomes if your daughter had to do common core math, how would you like her to become accelerated given that nothing in the K-12 curriculum can be 'skipped'. At what point would be best for the subject matter to be taught faster. My experience tells me for kids gifted in math is it's really at the elementary level. [/quote]

I agree. My daughter who's District has a Magnet Program(3rd through 8th) got three years compacted into one in 3rd grade. I think now kids from 1st grade on get grouped by their ability. I'm guessing this would lessen the change with common core and have less of an effect by any junior high implementations. On a side note our District Junior high has a Discovery program which is a step below the Magnet Program but above the regular classroom. For example her Geometry class has magnet kids (7-8), Discover kids (8th) and 8th graders who are good in Math.
FWIW, our district has made some changes up through Algebra II as we align with common core (or at least I assume the changes were due to our district's decision to adopt common core - it's a little weird in that there was a lot of publicity about common core when the decision was made a few years ago, but the way the post-adopt-common-core math curriculum changes were explained doesn't refer to common core, just to a "recent change" in curriculum specs
This type of obfuscation is not uncommon, however it IS possible to know what has shifted in your district's curriculum. Public (government run) schools in the United States are subject to transparency laws sometimes called sunshine laws, which require open records to be shared upon request. Specifically, a parent or taxpayer can request to see the alignment documents. These will show what was added, deleted, changed, moved up one or more grades, moved down one or more grades.
Nicoledad.. they "say" they are grouping by ability in the lower grades but that isn't really happening until 3rd grade and even then my son is not in a class with anyone even close to him in ability. He has said all he has learned in math is to write neater. If he had gotten into the magnet, he would be in a much different place in math. (they are in the middle of 4th grade math in the accelerated 3rd grade math program)
I am from lonestar state and the document I got says the new CC for Algebra I includes 30 of previous Algebra I, 1 of grade 8, 1 of Geometry, 6 of Algebra II, 2 of preCal, 6 brand new TEKS and 35% new content to grade level. Geometry has 24% new contents and Algebra II has 13% new contents.

My DD is 10, 6th grade and doing Algebra I and she will be doing dual enrollment in HS. I am not in a rush for her to go to college and compacting more from here on out won't be as beneficial. And AP/honor classes (at least in her would be HS) have tons of homework. If she desires, she may do online classes like Coursera, too.

IMO, keeping kids in holding pattern during elementary years will stunt their growth. When they get older (in MS and HS), they could pursue other interests. HS in some sense is like elementary; they give a lot of homework to make sure the kids get it but sort of repetitive to PG kids.
IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.
Some may say this conflates giftedness with opportunity. Possibly the example of Geometry by 8th grade is predicated on a student placed at grade-level with chronological age peers, then subject accelerated in math, therefore taking Geometry at age 13-14 (if red-shirted, age 14-15).

As frequently read on parent discussion forums of gifted issues, some schools do not make this opportunity available for various reasons, some of which may include the school being evaluated on closing the achievement/excellence gap: Students may be allowed to advance not in reflection upon their ability and readiness as individuals, but based upon the schools' desire to mirror the statistical representation of each ethnicity in the school population, in its advanced academics courses.
IMO, keeping kids in holding pattern during elementary years will stunt their growth.
Yes, there are many articles on underachievement which raise awareness of this. A quick search of the Davidson Database shows 234 entries on underachievement.

With public schools being evaluated on closing the achievement/excellence gap, stunting the growth the gifted kids (sometimes referred to as cutting down tall poppies), may be employed purposefully as a strategy to ensure equal outcomes.
I think the problem with a District that has 22 grade schools is that not all of them are doing the same thing. As MAP and ISAT indicate some schools are better rated than others. There are 23 magnet kids in 7th grade. 5 came from her original grade school. I think unfortunately as others said before me that with common core there is really no benefit for gifted kids.
DD is doing Common Core grade 6 math in grade 5. It appears to be pre-algebra. Distinct change from previous years with emphasis on abstract thinking, not operations.
Originally Posted by indigo
IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.
Some may say this conflates giftedness with opportunity. Possibly the example of Geometry by 8th grade is predicated on a student placed at grade-level with chronological age peers, then subject accelerated in math, therefore taking Geometry at age 13-14 (if red-shirted, age 14-15).
Two things to the top quote, that by a quick scan I can't figure out who said.

This depends on what material the 'Geometry' includes. It's arbitrary to say they aren't gifted if they can't at least take Geometry. The Geometry class as you took it in H.S. a generation ago, the Geometry class my son took in 8th grade, the new Common Core 'aligned' geometry class. I keep saying this like a broken record, but Common Core redefines what curriculum is in "geometry", and what is in Algebra I, and what 8th grade math looks like.

And if you look back in history, you can't say that kids 30 years ago weren't gifted because they weren't in Geometry in 8th, when it often wasn't available. Giftedness is not defined by by knowing certain material by a certain age. Just because my kid read at 3, doesn't mean that ALL gifted kids read by 3, or that those who don't aren't gifted in the language arts.
This depends on what material the 'Geometry' includes. It's arbitrary to say they aren't gifted if they can't at least take Geometry. The Geometry class as you took it in H.S. a generation ago, the Geometry class my son took in 8th grade, the new Common Core 'aligned' geometry class. I keep saying this like a broken record, but Common Core redefines what curriculum is in "geometry", and what is in Algebra I, and what 8th grade math looks like.

And if you look back in history, you can't say that kids 30 years ago weren't gifted because they weren't in Geometry in 8th, when it often wasn't available. Giftedness is not defined by by knowing certain material by a certain age. Just because my kid read at 3, doesn't mean that ALL gifted kids read by 3, or that those who don't aren't gifted in the language arts.
Well said.

figure out who said
A quick shortcut is to click on the [Re: XXXXXX] in the top frame of the post (in this case, it was [Re: nicoledad] and the quote came from the last sentence in that post).
Here's the info from our HS.

Math Scope and Sequence Information—SPRING 2014

The information provided below is for parents and students to become familiar with the typical progression of math courses from 9th grade through 12th grade at ----- High School.

Although our goal is to provide students with the most challenging curriculum in math, it should be noted that the acceleration of math is provided for those students who are developmentally ready.

All parents/guardians are encouraged to become familiar with the math courses available at -----Middle School, ---- Middle School and -----High School. The following table represents a typical continuum of math classes for our High School.

Regular Track:
6th grade
7th grade
8th grade
9th grade - Algebra I
10th grade - Geometry
11th grade - Mathematical model/ Algebra II
12th grade - Algebra II/ Pre Calculus/ Statistics

Accelerated Track:
6th - 6th and some 7th
7th- 7th and 8th
8th- Algebra I
9th- Geometry
10th- Algebra II
11th- PreCal
12th- AP Calculus AB or Ap Statistics

Gifted Tracks (USED TO BE)
6th- 7th and 8th
7th- Algebra I
8th- Geometry
9th- Algebra II
10th- Pre AP Calculus/ Ap Statistics
11th- AP Calculus AB
12th- AP Calculus BC

But starting next year, Gifted track will become the same sequence as accelerated except called TAG class and more in depth (supposedly).

Here's more excerpt from the school website:

Four years of high school math and science are required for graduation with endorsements. The math credits must include Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and one other Advanced Math class (as defined by TEA : Precalculus, Statistics, AP Statistics).

Most colleges and universities expect students to be taking math of increasing rigor through their senior year of high school. Therefore, college-bound students who qualify and choose to take Algebra I in middle school should plan to take advantage of additional math courses available their senior year of high school. If a math class is not taken in the senior year, the student will be at a disadvantage when entering college and colleges will want an explanation.

Information for parents/guardians to consider:

• Concurrent Enrollment and Dual Credit (Early College Start) ~ Juniors and Seniors only. Students must apply to the university on their own, provide their own transportation, and there is no guarantee that students will be able to coordinate a university class with the high school schedule. Classes may be available through ---- Community College.

• High school classes ~ Students who move rapidly through the math curricula will be in high school courses with older and, perhaps, more mature students. The highest level calculus class offered in high school is AP Calculus BC. If a student takes this calculus class before their senior year, they cannot take the next calculus class in the sequence until their freshman year in college.

• Rapid pace ~ Many people have expressed concerns about the rapid pace of the accelerated math program and have expressed concerns about the emotional and developmental appropriateness of students in the program. Their concerns are very valid. However, for the exceptionally talented student who is highly motivated in math, research is available in support of acceleration. With new mathematics TEKS being introduced beginning in Fall 2014, acceleration should be undertaken with extreme caution to avoid gaps in knowledge and skills. There is no substitute for time, practice and repeated exposure to content to solidify mathematical skills and concepts.

----------------------------------------------------
In the nutshell, they are decelerating gifted track students. This is the HS that have 40-50 NMS scholars a year. They leave the door ajar by mentioning exceptionally talented students so we see what happens when we get there.
decelerating gifted
Sadly, this is the universal story. Based on what is reported as occurring in some districts, some may predict that when the "repeated exposure to content" is not well-received by "exceptionally talented students", the district may call for further deceleration as the remedy.
In the nutshell, they are decelerating gifted track students. This is the HS that have 40-50 NMS scholars a year. They leave the door ajar by mentioning exceptionally talented students so we see what happens when we get there.
Are they going to continue to offer AP Calculus BC for the top level kids? If so the kids will get to the same place in the end. Most places I know ones takes AB or BC calc, not one then the other. And that is how the AP system sells the class. I was surprised to see the current Calculus sequence.

The question is it enough for your kids? Will these TAG classes really be more difficult. My son would be happier if the classes he was taking had more proofs in them and did more abstract math.

Even though it doesn't say anywhere in the document about Common Core, if you are in the US I suspect that is what is driving this. Is this a public school? If it is I'm very surprised by the 4 year math requirement. Their line about NEEDING 4 years of math to get into college is a little bit stretching it. IF you are going into STEM, yes.. And IF you want a top tier school, yes. But lots & lots of universities will accept students who's top math class is Algebra II.
In some states, the line about needing four years of math to enter college is related to the entry requirements for public 4-years. Check what the matriculation requirements are for the state unis. While HS grad requirements generally are designed to meet or exceed the uni entry requirements, sometimes they add hoops that the unis don't need from you.
Originally Posted by indigo
Two things to the top quote, that by a quick scan I can't figure out who said.

ITA - very well said smile

I'll also add - and I won't say this happens anywhere else because I can only speak for where I'm at - but here opportunity knocks more often in higher SES schools, *especially* in the early elementary years where parental involvement in the school and in children's lives can make a huge impact.

polarbear
Our district adopted CC but thankfully chose to pass on the combined Algebra/Geometry sequences. I think it would be nearly impossible for late acceleration under that model.

Both arguments for and against late acceleration(7th & later) have merits for different reasons. On the one hand, it is far more practical to accelerate in elementary before you hit Algebra I. You really want every concept/procedure from Algebra I onward to be completely solid rather than "easy come easy go" so I would personally hesitate about "skipping" from Algebra I onward. On the other hand, many kids sail through elementary math and even Pre-Algebra but their advance ability or lack thereof only become apparent after they tackle Algebra. In that sense, it is logical to wait until they get to a level that actually measures more advance abilities before accelerating. Having said all this, these analyses don't necessary apply to "gifted" students BUT keep in mind that the accelerated tracks tend to be rather inclusive and aren't normally reserved for technically "gifted" students. Oftentimes, you have to come up with guidelines that fit the top 25% (or more) rather than the top 2%.
"skipping" from Algebra I onward
Some may say that compacting would generally be the form of math acceleration in the scenarios under discussion, not "skipping" per se. The material is taught at a more rapid pace, avoiding the mind-numbing repetition which is said to cause many gifted students to disengage and underachieve. A compacted class may also move more rapidly by not having to wait for students who are not ready for the challenge of the coursework, to catch up. Compacted classes, where available, may provide appropriate curriculum and pacing for gifted students.
Are they going to continue to offer AP Calculus BC for the top level kids? If so the kids will get to the same place in the end. Most places I know ones takes AB or BC calc, not one then the other. And that is how the AP system sells the class. I was surprised to see the current Calculus sequence. The question is it enough for your kids? Will these TAG classes really be more difficult. My son would be happier if the classes he was taking had more proofs in them and did more abstract math.

Even though it doesn't say anywhere in the document about Common Core, if you are in the US I suspect that is what is driving this. Is this a public school?

I hope that AP Cal BC is still on the table. They are still offering it this schoolyear but who knows what happen next year. My DD13, 8th grader, is doing Geometry and she will be in that TAG track. DD10, 6th grader, is doing Algebra I now and she will hit that AP Cal BC in 11th grade anyway and she will have to do dual enrollment or something else.

Yes. It is a public school. The kids hope to get as many college credits in HS so that we don't have to spend much on their college tuition (they would like to have a new car instead) grin
Are they going to continue to offer AP Calculus BC for the top level kids? If so the kids will get to the same place in the end. Most places I know ones takes AB or BC calc, not one then the other. And that is how the AP system sells the class. I was surprised to see the current Calculus sequence. The question is it enough for your kids? Will these TAG classes really be more difficult. My son would be happier if the classes he was taking had more proofs in them and did more abstract math.

Even though it doesn't say anywhere in the document about Common Core, if you are in the US I suspect that is what is driving this. Is this a public school?

I hope that AP Cal BC is still on the table. They are still offering it this schoolyear but who knows what happen next year. My DD13, 8th grader, is doing Geometry and she will be in that TAG track. DD10, 6th grader, is doing Algebra I now and she will hit that AP Cal BC in 11th grade anyway and she will have to do dual enrollment or something else.

Yes. It is a public school. The kids hope to get as many college credits in HS so that we don't have to spend much on their college tuition (they would like to have a new car instead) grin

Well, our common core sequence ends with calc BC. Theoretically, more than half of the graduating class will be on this track, though there are several other options for senior level math courses (a dual enrollment calc class, ap stats, etc). So this is with what I believe is one point of compaction,in 8th grade. Admittedly, we are in a high ses area with an educated population.

And yes,bluemagic, it is not enough for our kids, but as you and others noted, I think the best place for acceleration is certainly earlier rather than later. And for the district as a whole, I think the common core program has been a really good thing, limitations for gifted kids notwithstanding. Many more kids are succeeding at higher level math, and I do think the courses are much deeper.

For what it's worth, we have a relative who excelled in her middle school math program, one of the top public schools in their (admittedly low-performing) state. She was accelerated and sailed through algebra with As. For high school she is attending a top boarding school known for math instruction- within the first few weeks of school there, she was moved down two levels (to the lowest level offered) in math. Apparently she was skilled at solving basic "plug-in" type problems, but their math instruction requires a lot of explanation and reasoning and she was not proficient at this, and needed a fair amount of remediation. So far, from what I have seen the common core classes have been much more successful in encouraging this type of thinking and problem solving.
Originally Posted by cricket3
it is not enough for our kids... limitations for gifted kids
Yes, on a gifted issues discussion forum, this concern is shared by many.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum