Here's the info from our HS.

Math Scope and Sequence Information—SPRING 2014

The information provided below is for parents and students to become familiar with the typical progression of math courses from 9th grade through 12th grade at ----- High School.

Although our goal is to provide students with the most challenging curriculum in math, it should be noted that the acceleration of math is provided for those students who are developmentally ready.

All parents/guardians are encouraged to become familiar with the math courses available at -----Middle School, ---- Middle School and -----High School. The following table represents a typical continuum of math classes for our High School.

Regular Track:
6th grade
7th grade
8th grade
9th grade - Algebra I
10th grade - Geometry
11th grade - Mathematical model/ Algebra II
12th grade - Algebra II/ Pre Calculus/ Statistics

Accelerated Track:
6th - 6th and some 7th
7th- 7th and 8th
8th- Algebra I
9th- Geometry
10th- Algebra II
11th- PreCal
12th- AP Calculus AB or Ap Statistics

Gifted Tracks (USED TO BE)
6th- 7th and 8th
7th- Algebra I
8th- Geometry
9th- Algebra II
10th- Pre AP Calculus/ Ap Statistics
11th- AP Calculus AB
12th- AP Calculus BC

But starting next year, Gifted track will become the same sequence as accelerated except called TAG class and more in depth (supposedly).

Here's more excerpt from the school website:

Four years of high school math and science are required for graduation with endorsements. The math credits must include Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and one other Advanced Math class (as defined by TEA : Precalculus, Statistics, AP Statistics).

Most colleges and universities expect students to be taking math of increasing rigor through their senior year of high school. Therefore, college-bound students who qualify and choose to take Algebra I in middle school should plan to take advantage of additional math courses available their senior year of high school. If a math class is not taken in the senior year, the student will be at a disadvantage when entering college and colleges will want an explanation.

Information for parents/guardians to consider:

• Concurrent Enrollment and Dual Credit (Early College Start) ~ Juniors and Seniors only. Students must apply to the university on their own, provide their own transportation, and there is no guarantee that students will be able to coordinate a university class with the high school schedule. Classes may be available through ---- Community College.

• High school classes ~ Students who move rapidly through the math curricula will be in high school courses with older and, perhaps, more mature students. The highest level calculus class offered in high school is AP Calculus BC. If a student takes this calculus class before their senior year, they cannot take the next calculus class in the sequence until their freshman year in college.

• Rapid pace ~ Many people have expressed concerns about the rapid pace of the accelerated math program and have expressed concerns about the emotional and developmental appropriateness of students in the program. Their concerns are very valid. However, for the exceptionally talented student who is highly motivated in math, research is available in support of acceleration. With new mathematics TEKS being introduced beginning in Fall 2014, acceleration should be undertaken with extreme caution to avoid gaps in knowledge and skills. There is no substitute for time, practice and repeated exposure to content to solidify mathematical skills and concepts.

----------------------------------------------------
In the nutshell, they are decelerating gifted track students. This is the HS that have 40-50 NMS scholars a year. They leave the door ajar by mentioning exceptionally talented students so we see what happens when we get there.