Originally Posted by 22B
Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by 22B
Well that makes more sense than a swarm of amateur volunteers travelling in the opposite direction to do one on one mentoring.
I don't see where anyone made this suggestion.
The OP is clearly talking about one on one mentoring. Obviously a large number of mentorees would then require a large number of mentors. Also the implication was that mentoree and mentor were living in different circumstances, and some travel would logically be needed if meeting face to face.

So basically, you reacted appropriately, as based on all of the following assumptions:

1) Mixed-class communities are not a thing.
2) Poor children only live in places of extreme danger.
3) It's not possible to meet poor parents of gifted children through ordinary, everyday activities, like going to work, or the library, or taking your child to soccer practice.
4) One-on-one interactions are only possible face-to-face.

And the problem is, none of these assumptions are true.

My family is comfortably in the second quintile in household income, so we could be accurately described as upper middle-class (as opposed to those bringing in >$150k and describing themselves as such, sorry, but top 10% is not a middle of anything), and we live in a stereotypical suburban community that you'd normally associate with that... it's safe, quiet, there's a golf course just down the road, we have our own park, people cut their grass, etc. And if I wanted to actively mentor a parent of a gifted child in an underprivileged family through face-to-face contact, I could travel all the way across the street.