Originally Posted by 22B
Our school district definitely tries to identify gifted students from underprivileged backgrounds and provides full time self contained gifted education.

I prefer to pay taxes to help people in need. I definitely prefer that to going into a high crime neighborhood and risking being murdered.
It is simplistic to write as if these are the only two choices. Since the OP is from "Chicagoland", I will mention a tutoring program in Chicago (not targeting the gifted).

http://online.wsj.com/articles/bob-greene-off-of-rough-streets-into-a-haven-for-learning-1412901562
Off of Rough Streets, Into a Haven for Learning
Fifty years and 6,000 students later, a Chicago church’s free-tutoring program carries on.
By BOB GREENE
Wall Street Journal
Oct. 9, 2014 8:39 p.m. ET

On a crisp-as-an-apple-slice autumn afternoon in Chicago, a man named Tylus Allen looked around a softly lighted chapel and said, “When I first came here, it was because I heard this was where people were willing to help you.”

He is 24 now, a clerk at a downtown hospital. When he began evening visits to the Fourth Presbyterian Church, he was a fifth-grader who lived many grim miles away. His father was in prison. He was a boy who yearned to learn, to better himself, but wasn’t sure how. “I was hoping to find people who wouldn’t give up on me,” he said.

He came to the right place. The church, on a postcard-glamorous North Michigan Avenue corner, has, for 50 years, provided a tutoring program for children as young as first graders. Most of the boys and girls, often from the city’s poorest and most violent neighborhoods, are African-American. Most of the volunteer tutors are white, many of them professional men and women.

On this afternoon hundreds of them—former pupils like Mr. Allen, current pupils, present and past tutors—were gathering at the church to celebrate half a century of lives made better. The premise of what goes on there on weeknights is simple: The children seek one-on-one help with the basics of mathematics and reading and writing. They don’t always get that kind of individual attention in their public schools. There are successful men and women willing to sit down with them at the church and share what they have always taken for granted: the ability to add and subtract and divide, the ability to spell and to read with understanding.

I first reported on the church’s tutoring program 25 years ago, and then, as now, I was most struck by the devotion on both sides. On the coldest Chicago winter nights, in drenching rain and biting winds, the children would arrive for their tutoring sessions right on time. So would the volunteer tutors. Attendance was typically 100%.

“At first, the children don’t even know exactly what they’re hoping for,” said Stefani Turken, who is in her 22nd year of tutoring. “But little by little, they see that there is a different world available to them, that they can dream of something better. That if you want it to, life can change.”