What I see a lot of in my area is programs advertised for 'gifted' or kids interested in STEM that are particularly directed at students in the lower scoring school districts in the area. These are often held at local universities. The problem these programs have are unless they bus in the students many parents can't afford the time to drive them. If you work two jobs just to pay for rent & food, there is no time to drive your kid to challenging activities. Or even time to notice the activities exist. What is needed is teachers that help identify these kids, unfortunately teachers have huge classes and are usually busy taking care of more pressing needs.

I have thought about working for one of these programs. I'm interested in helping at one of the local programs to encourage girls in computer science or math program. I'd have no problem going into the poorer area's close to me (I have friends who teach at these schools), although I might think really long before going into south central LA.