Originally Posted by ultramarina
To give another perspective, I live in a small city where there is a LOT of poverty but virtually no murder...maybe one per year, and that's usually a man killing his wife or perhaps another personal grudge. I have zero worries about being murdered at random anywhere around here (and we go to "bad" parts of the city all the time...some would say we live in one).

Actually, I don't think random murders for being in the wrong place at the wrong time are common anywhere in the US. You could get mugged, though, for sure. I understand not wanting to go to some areas, but I guess my point is, there's plenty of poor children living in, uh, non-murdery places.
That's where you live. Where I live is definitely very dangerous. There are plenty of poor children but very few of them live in non-murdery places. Random murders do happen. Innocent people do get killed by stray bullets. There are a lot of murders. A lot. I'm describing where I live. I'm not saying other people are in this same type of environment. Obviously some places are much safer, and elsewhere in the world some places are much more dangerous.

This conversation is kind of ridiculous. Is there really any doubt that there are dangerous areas in the USA? Being afraid to go into a bad part of town is a very rational and prudent fear.

Having the whole "gifted community" (whatever that is) inviting themselves into these dangerous areas to provide one on one "mentoring" (whatever that is) is ludicrous. Besides, as I said in my first post "Our school district definitely tries to identify gifted students from underprivileged backgrounds and provides full time self contained gifted education." Unfortunately this only happens in dangerous schools, so we don't participate.