Originally Posted by aquinas
Originally Posted by Dude
I began reading to my DD each night while she was in the womb, and I always began by saying her name twice, in a particular, sing-song way... We were still in the delivery room... I said her name in that sing-song way. She immediately stopped wailing, and locked her eyes on mine. I was rocking her back and forth, and as she moved, her eyes moved to stay with me. I had read that she shouldn't be able to track moving objects with her eyes for weeks, so that was a shocker.

My dad and DH have a simliar story for me and DS.

1. My birth was a medical emergency, and I was inconsolable. After a few minutes of my wailing, my dad demanded to be let into the nursery to comfort me and said, "Aquinas, this is your Daddy." I immediately stopped crying and accepted his finger to suck on while we waited for my mum to be prepared to see me, all the while watching him intently as he cradled me.

2. DS' birth was also a medical emergency (for the same reason), and DH provided kangaroo care for DS while I came out of anaesthetic. Because DH read the same set of stories to DS every night while I was pregnant, he decided to recite a story to DS. DS stopped crying and accepted comforting on dad's warm chest. DS was apparently transfixed with DH's face and seemed to anticipate the funny parts of the story with excitement.

I love my gentle gentlemen!

Aquinas, that is a very sweet pair of stories.

One of my sibs tracked immediately at birth. My #2 also was soothed on hearing #1 sing, within hours of birth (#1 sang non-stop to mama's belly-button during #2's gestation). I suspect, based on the respective birth circumstances, that tracking and alertness at birth have a great deal to do with the use of (or rather lack thereof) anesthetics during the birthing process.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...