Originally Posted by Tigerle
And to supply a fun anecdote as well, DS2 (2 today!), due to a major birth defect, was born via scheduled C-section and immediately taken away by a pediatric team for medical care. My husband was allowed along and took pictures and a short video. He swears DS2 looked at the camera with interest at the age of 23 minutes. I swear I can see it in the pictures.

I believe you 100%.

I began reading to my DD each night while she was in the womb, and I always began by saying her name twice, in a particular, sing-song way. I was doing this with a purpose, waiting to see how she would react when she came out.

We were still in the delivery room, the nurses had finished doing all their highly-invasive things to her, they wrapped her up, and placed her, still protesting loudly, in my arms. I said her name in that sing-song way. She immediately stopped wailing, and locked her eyes on mine. I was rocking her back and forth, and as she moved, her eyes moved to stay with me. I had read that she shouldn't be able to track moving objects with her eyes for weeks, so that was a shocker.

When she picked up her head a few hours later, I was leaning back in a chair with DD on my chest, and DW napping in the bed next to me. She picked up her head in order to take a good, long look at what her mom was up to.