DD 7 in is public school 2nd grade. Some of the children in the class are likely gifted but many not and it is not a "gifted class". We get a packet of homework Monday that is due on Friday plus she is supposed to read or be read to every day-I think for 20 minutes. I've ignored that because DD reads more than enough through the course of the week.

I think her homework load is more than you are stuck with

Homework packet:
Monday: one page (2sided) math
1 of 2 spelling activities (can be on spelling city or creative things or quiz)

tuesday:
Math worksheet
reading comprehension questions (about 5) about a story they read
that must be answered with a full sentence.

Wed: family experience writing. They have to draw a picture and write a topic sentence,3-4 detail sentences and a conclusion. (this is hated)

Thurs:
Math
spelling

Oh also they have DD read aloud one page of a simple story (about 140-150 words) to see how many words they read correctly in one minute. She does this every night. Or, like today she read it 4 times in a row right before going to school to turn it in -oops. This is actually good practice I think since DD hardly ever reads out loud anymore.

For my DD the math is ridiculously easy, repetitive and tedious. They are doing the same place value worksheets since school started. But they are easy and fast and she would rather do those than the writing assignments. The physical act of writing is still difficult for my daughter so those are disliked and done rather poorly in my opinion. The spelling seems fine to me. The words seem reasonable and with a small amount of review she can get most of them right on her test.

Im not really sure how long it takes her to do it but it certainly varies by her motivation. setting a timer is not at all a bad idea.