indigo, I LOVE that SENG article. Yes, at some point years ago someone suggested we consider that he could be bipolar. But it really is more that he has extreme responses. (We HAVE consulted with other pdocs about it to to rule it out, though.) The audiobook idea is a fascinating one...something to stop the descent before it starts.

I'm realizing that my whole focus has been - oh, it's late, let's hurry home and let him get to bed!! But at the cost of giving him the decompression time. And I think he is feeling that same stress - it's late, I gotta get to bed, but I'm all keyed up. He is very invested in his identity of a kid who likes to go to bed early. I try to tell him that occasional late nights are a part of life! but I don't think he's convinced.

Theoretically we could come up with something he'd look forward to so after the game could be a GOOD experience. That's a crazy thought. He might love stopping to pick out a treat!

The next day he always has positive stories about cool things that happened. But the night of the game - well, for example, the "reason" he sobbed last night was that his hat nearly fell off when he was marching. Yes, stressful, and he is a perfectionist. But it didn't. And it would have been ok if it did! (sigh.)

Last edited by JamD; 09/19/14 06:57 AM.