Does your kid do this? My DD (8) and DS (almost 5) are so different. DD never hides her abilities. It would never occur to her to do so. I vaguely recall she had a brief phase in which she would say "I can't" about reading, but it really meant "I can't read absolutely every word I ever see". She started reading CVC words around age 3 and was reading chapter books (Magic Tree House was a favorite) by age 5.

DS is a VERY different child. He didn't care to learn to read until one day around a year ago, when he said he would LIKE to read now please, so we got some BOB books and proceeded to "study" them. He has continuously maintained ever since that he "can't read" and without application of great bribery, typically will not read aloud from a book. But, this morning his new teachers at his new Montessori preschool (3-6 room), where he's been for 9 half-days, tell me they had to visit the library to get some Step 2 readers for him, because everything they already had was too easy. But they can't ever look like they're testing him in any way about any skill, because then he will TOTALLY refuse to do anything.

How do you/did you handle this? I've been waiting it out, but it kinda drives me nuts. Commiseration and/or advice welcomed.

Last edited by Aufilia; 09/17/14 03:00 PM.