Originally Posted by Wren
Just thinking this out, since DD is just turning 10. The frontal cortex does all that crazy growth 14-21, right? And just thinking how I was emotionally, even though I skipped, fit in socially, emotionally I was what I was. What is the price?
A 15 year old boy in college is probably not going to get any action for a while. While a 15 year old girl is a desirable target. No matter how smart, socially adjusted, it is still an emotional issue. Great, if the guy stays with her for a few years, but it aint high school. I had not thought about the emotional factor. Socially DD is great, intellectually no problems, but now that I think about it, not sure how any emotional scars from sexual relationships in college would impact her.
Suddenly reminding me of the desperately hopeful look on the face of the opposite-sex radically-accelerated college classmate who was one of the few I knew who was not one of my relatives or their friends. Too bad I had, by that time, decided that the solution to the age gap was to wait until I had reached late adolescence for anything more than simple friendship! Which is, of course, one possible solution.

Oh, and the frontal lobe is still growing well into the early 20s. Usually later for males than for females. Which is probably one of the reasons (in addition to the range of optimal reproductive health) that it is more socially-acceptable for the male partner in a romantic pairing to be older than for the female partner.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...