I think that gender plays a role. As a female, with a June bday, I was behind in puberty but I did not feel awkward. And liking a boy older than you are is not a big deal.
In high school, there is the possibility of drinking to fit in. All kinds of scenarios that may or may not happen.
Socially awkward guys, in high school, that are really smart, tend to become very successful but often choose the wrong women, compensating. Seen that a lot on Wall St. I know that people may think this point is ridiculous, but playing devil's advocate. This scenario is as real as any other. Hence why a school that allows for acceleration in subjects while allowing for social development is optimal. Why a school like Hunter allows kids to do a college degree at Columbia or NYU while they continue in other subjects staying in high school. That kid a couple of years ago who graduated from Physics at Columbia before he got his high school diploma from Hunter. He was already in graduate studies in math at NYU when he went to his high school prom.