I have a daughter so I cannot help directly but will still post some of our decision making process for others down the road searching for this topic :-)

We certainly considered pushing for a skip for our DD8 from the end 2nd to start of 5th given her IQ and achievement scores. We chose not to for the following reasons:-

+ The 'to be' 5th grade cohort was composed of physical giants almost across the board (it was as though a meteor shower directly over our town/village had emitted rays that effected every pregnant woman in the area LOL). So the size difference would have encouraged them to treat our DD as a pet/mascot and we want her to be mentally AND physically confident.

+ We didn't want to bite off more than our DD could chew in terms of social integration - we knew that academically it would be a cakewalk for her. We thought that we would test the water first with a bog standard skip.

+ We know that we can always (and will if necessary) push for another one if needed in the future - in our SD middle school begins in 6th grade and a skip across buildings is not recommended in the IOWA Acceleration Scale book.

Since skipping just that one grade my DD is *SO MUCH happier* in and out of school. She has made a few good friends with common interests so we are reluctant to disrupt the status quo for the time being. We after school with AoPS too so that she is still in her ZPD to some extent as well.

Become what you are