Deedee, very helpful. Thanks

--get on the waitlist for private testing

We are already on the waitlist for this.

--Are you in the US? Does your district use RTI (response to intervention)? Under this model, they are supposed to try a variety of things to improve the child's behavior/challenges and see what works. This is more informal than an IEP; the advantage is that you can arrange to get things into place sooner.

Yes, in the US. The teacher did indicate this is possible to do. And yes, I think they do follow RTI. They really want to seem to help. However, they keep thinking ADD (or ADHD - Inattentive), from all the conversations I have had. The psychiatrist says he does not see all the markers (perhaps, some of them)

I am wondering if this will be an issue for the school to help.

A hazard of having solely the school evaluate is that they are not really qualified to make medical diagnoses; further, many school psychologists are not able to really accurately assess complex behavior issues. I have always been happiest when I bring a private eval that informs the school process. On the other hand, to get services into place at school on a more permanent basis, you will likely need their eval. And since that's where the issues are most visible, perhaps they'll be willing to identify him for services.

Yes, I fully agree with this, which is why we are taking this careful approach. I am also hesitant -- ADHD seems over-diagnosed, and he does not fit into the ADHD profile, though he has issues with organization and following directions quickly, especially in a group environment

I would also work the parent network for information. Are children generally getting appropriate services for their challenges, or is yours one of the districts that hinders rather than helps? If you know about the environment you're operating in, you can make better guesses about what path is most useful now.

The school seems generally responsive, and the kids do get appropriate services. However, apparently, the parent needs to know what to ask for; one of my friends in the school said this was especially frustrating (even though her child's situation was pretty straight-forward)

Check the school psych's qualifications. Many are BCBAs (certified behavior analysts), especially the more recent grads. And if not, there may be a BCBA on staff somewhere in the system. Also, all SPs have training in FBA, unless they are really old, or didn't graduate from a NASP- or APA-approved program. So you may find that your school does have behavior resources.

AEH, thanks. I will be sure to ask/find out. Would you be willing to explain how FBA will work, esp in a case where multiple reminders/re-directions are required ?

Also, I want to be able to understand my child (not just for school, but for regular life). I am often puzzled, at home, or at various places, we get regular comments on what an interesting child he is, how friendly he is and so on; at school, it is totally different.

Last edited by mom2one; 09/06/14 04:12 PM.