Do you see these organizational challenges at home as well? While I have not been incredibly successful in getting organizational support in the classroom, here are a few things I have done to help my DS.

Lists - I use a magnetic dry erase board that is the size of a clip board. I created magnets that he can move around from TO DO to DONE. He has one for various tasks like morning routine, clean up routine, etc.

Breaking tasks down - he has become much better at this at 10 but he has struggled along the way on how to begin tasks and persist through them. We spend time together thinking and talking about the assignment and prepare a schedule. So, for after school it looks something like this

2-2:30 break/snack/ screen time
2:30-3:00 practice instrument
3-3:15 break
3:15-3:30 chores (we list the chores)
3:30-4 math - unit 1 including problems

He has had a 504 for ADHD for 3 years and most of his accommodations include requesting assistance (though hit or miss with teacher actually providing it) as I mentioned above and also

sitting near teacher (he doesn't have this anymore in Middle School)

more time to turn something in - in case he looses (misplaces or forgets) it.

During long work periods, shorten work periods to 25 minutes with up to 10 minute break between if needed

Shorten and/or modify assignments – he needs less problems/work to show mastery. Assignments modified to promote full engagement.

Pair written instructions with oral instructions or have written instructions available online

I would also occasionally go in and clean out his desk with him. Now he has a locker and most everything comes home each day - he puts it in his folder in class and then it goes into his backpack.

Oh, and in terms of outgrowing, he has gotten better each year. My DH on the other hand still struggles. smile

Last edited by Percy; 09/03/14 12:45 PM.