Originally Posted by mom2one
They said that they are ruling those out, till such time testing yields more data to support some sort of diagnosis (so I can get services from the school). That said, they do see some issues, the psychiatrist said it is mostly due to asynchronousity/lower processing speed (compared to other strengths) and have recommended more testing. I think there is a waitlist for that as well

Several things I'd consider:

--get on the waitlist for private testing

--Are you in the US? Does your district use RTI (response to intervention)? Under this model, they are supposed to try a variety of things to improve the child's behavior/challenges and see what works. This is more informal than an IEP; the advantage is that you can arrange to get things into place sooner.

A phone call to the special education or student services office in your district will tell you whether they do this.

--A hazard of having solely the school evaluate is that they are not really qualified to make medical diagnoses; further, many school psychologists are not able to really accurately assess complex behavior issues. I have always been happiest when I bring a private eval that informs the school process. On the other hand, to get services into place at school on a more permanent basis, you will likely need their eval. And since that's where the issues are most visible, perhaps they'll be willing to identify him for services.

--I would also work the parent network for information. Are children generally getting appropriate services for their challenges, or is yours one of the districts that hinders rather than helps? If you know about the environment you're operating in, you can make better guesses about what path is most useful now.

HTH,
DeeDee