Originally Posted by indigo
In some high performing areas teachers may be credited with the performance of pupils even though there may be a strong program for uniform outcomes with little or no gifted support;

We weren't in a high performing district, but I still felt some of this. When we moved and stayed in the neighborhood, the principal made a happy comment about not losing one of their brightest students... but when I asked for accommodation, I was completely stonewalled.

Where I live school choice is a heated issue, with a lot of people feeling like it's important to stick with your assigned school in order to give it necessary support (if all the "rich" involved parents pull their kids out, what will the schools do?). My response when someone makes this comment is always "well, if the school wanted me to support them, they should have supported us."

Tigerle, I see what you are saying, though it sounds more like educational suicide rather than social suicide. I think I was definitely seeing this through a US lens, where other parents might be competitive or annoyed at the information, but who cares? (Answer, not me.)