Originally Posted by Ivy
Originally Posted by Tigerle
I just do SO not want this information to get out among the other parents. Social suicide.

Fascinating. I have to say that this never, ever even crossed my mind when we shared testing results. Like what do you think the result would be? At this point, DD is working 2-3 grades ahead, so if it were social suicide we'd be dead 1000 times over.

No one we ever shared our results with ever cared (or in many cases, bothered to look at the information). For us sharing results had no effect, or in some cases, made things worse. The OP is NOT in this situation and, I think, is doing the right thing. That's not always the case however.

This is surely cultural and varies from from country to country, from area to area, I'd guess from school to school even.
I live in a European country that does not do standardized testing, neither for achievement nor for ability. There is an extreme need to pretend that some differences do not exist, even in achievement. The OECD testing for Pisa was an eye opener and is still hotly debated not just for its actual implications (it showed that students in some states scored, on average, two grade levels higher than students in others, which led to finger pointing at the high scoring states for putting too much pressure on students) but on a philosophical level, do tests even have any meaning at all....because if they don't, you don't t have to bother about why your schools fail...

Even just having your child tested puts you squarely in the category of That Parent. Who needs a gifted label for their kids to inflate their own ego, to find excuses for their child's behaviour problems, and so on. Clearly you're working ahead in the afternoons, hot housing, trying to jump an imaginary queue. If your kid is so gifted, let him show it by making perfect grades, and if the kid is actually making them, it must be all about you and your hot housing again.

We live in on of the highest scoring stated which still has a rigid tracking system, based entirely on grade average in fourth grade, meaning you are in direct competition with your class mates. While in theory, teachers are supposed to grade objectively against grade level standards and not on a curve, in practice this is what happens (again one of t hose dirty little open secrets substantiated by test results nobody wants to hear).

If your child goes to a high SES school with over involved parents like ds7 does, third and fourth grade are make or break time. Everything is about getting into the right (ie college prep) track.