Originally Posted by KnittingMama
And of course there are the things we naturally do as a family that I guess some would consider enrichment. I read to both kids frequently (often during snack), we go to museums/aquariums/zoos/historical sites, we have educational iPod apps, subscribe to quality kid magazines, watch Cosmos, etc. I don't consider this afterschooling, I consider it parenting. smile

As far as when all this happens, it's usually not after school (except for the more passive stuff like listening to me read). DD is generally too schooled-out to do anything like school when she gets home, and would much rather draw or play or do crafts.

Ditto. DD7 goes to school because she LOVES it. I'd love to homeschool because she's an amazing interesting learner but - at the moment anyway - school is hot because she has lots of friends and because she still thinks she's going to school to learn and she's very enthusiastic about learning. I can see that misconception slowly starting to wear thin however!
She does a one-day-a-week pullout gifted program which is really excellent, and the rest of her actual education is through her love of reading whatever fiction and non-fiction interests her (lots of library books, and lots of quality fiction and interesting history/science reference books at home), Ask magazine, BrainPop Jr, Monopoly, Snap Circuits, chess, Scrabble, geocaching, watching cool documentaries, YouTube (Vi Hart, space station), doing crosswords, traveling, hiking, star-gazing, visiting the planetarium and all those places Knitting Mama listed, badge-work for Brownies, long conversations with DH and I full of hard questions, sometimes I wantonly pull her out of school to join a science workshop run by the local homeschooling group … etc etc.
But I too hesitate to call it after-schooling because it's ALL DD-driven as and when she feels like it. I wouldn't set up anything formal - and admittedly she's ahead in all areas so there's no need - because her learning is part of her playing and I want to keep it that way.
There is also a lot of definitely non-educational stuff in the mix, which is just as important smile She doesn't distinguish between playing Polly Pockets or setting up a station to study weather patterns - it's all entertainment. Which I love smile (I made the decision to test one vacation when I suggested making pompoms, and she wanted to dig through DH's tool kit to find parts to build a seismograph, lol). That's much more awesome than replicating school at home.
Basically, that was all a very long-winded way of saying, if he's not really enjoying formal after-schooling, and it seems to me that you're doing quite a lot, you could try sneaking the learning into the playing, like sneaking vegetables into a smoothie smile