Originally Posted by polarbear
I went back and re-read a few of your earlier posts, because I was confused by what was going on here re reading in your ds' class - but I think I understand after looking back at your earlier posts. I agree with you that the method they are using to teach reading might be incredibly frustrating for a lot of children. I wonder if part of the issue here isn't simply this year's teacher and her approach to teaching/testing etc? Whether it's just this one teacher or an issue with the school system you're in, I imagine your ds is extremely frustrated at this point, so honestly, If it were my ds I'd probably *not* worry about afterschooling, other than what I absolutely had to do to appease the school and make sure he wasn't held back for a year (which I only mention because it was mentioned in your earlier post).

They use the Accelerated Reader program. IDK if the teacher is also a cause of concern, but the program itself I really am starting to loathe. I think it's a school-wide reading program for them, however, and it is a curriculum. Sorry my posts have been disjointed, but you do have the right synopsis. I didn't want to overload one topic with all our history so I left out (too?) much.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.