Originally Posted by Displaced
Thank you for your experience. I also feel this way sometimes about school. I wonder what they are really teaching if I have to go back and teach things I feel they should have there? Or maybe they're teaching a lot differently (for example I'm pretty sure I'm teaching phonics to read and they're teaching reading some other magical way). It's such a hard decision for us to know what's best. confused

What's best is surely the things that keep our kids optimally enjoying the adventure of life and lifelong learning. If it's not happening in school and it's within your ability to provide this, then I'm pretty sure I cannot see how choosing to NOT do so is a good choice. Sometimes it's really hard to accept that we need to step outside of the norm. We are conditioned from young to colour within the lines (so to speak) and it is even suggested to us that we owe it to the greater good to fight the good fight.

And while I am happy to be an advocate for more appropriate education for ALL kids, I only owe it to my kids to ensure that they absolutely have access to what keeps them happy, healthy (emotionally and mentally as well) and enjoying their lives as they learn what keeps them happy.

It also makes my life easier without a doubt!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)