We are currently afterschooling daily for reading remediation for DS5. We will continue during the summer to beef up reading and writing. My hope is next year the afterschooling will be for enrichment. School offers a 30 min daily pull out which we are just now learning about and haven't started yet.

I'm curious why you may have decided on "just" afterschooling for your DC? Was it lack of other options? DC liked his/her school and it was "ok" so you wanted him/her to stay in school? Inability to homeschool? Other? What time do you and DC devote to it daily?

For now, K was academically challenging for DS. He was behind when we started, has worked hard to catch up, but the program is wacky for reading (I feel they're easily reading on a 1st+ grade level). Honestly, I think he wouldn't have been behind if they actually taught phonics in school, but that's JMO. He quickly picks up on the rules of phonics, but I'm the only one teaching him that.

But math I feel he hasn't learned anything in this year or has been challenged. Since our focus has been on reading remediation, I have limited the afterschool math focus. I don't want DS studying hours every day after school. Just with reading we tend to do 30-60 min daily, which I feel is a lot for K! DS doesn't exactly enjoy our afterschooling because it's a "lot of work", but I'm hopeful focusing on enrichment will be easier and more fun for him.

If we catch up well in reading/writing over the summer and can switch focus to math/science or other enrichments I think afterschooling may work. But I find it's difficult to include remediation and enrichment unless I alternate days or something.

Do you like afterschooling for enrichment or did you end up doing a different course? Did you feel you were teaching what the school should have been? Did your child resist doing a lot of work after being in school all day?

Any general experiences would be helpful, but especially geared for younger elementary with intensive parent support.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.