Originally Posted by ultramarina
I agree with Tallulah that many kids' writing looks like that in K and it is quite typical even for advanced kids. Does your son's writing fall in that ballpark? Much worse?

I happen to have a son in K whose writing is good, and it is very obvious from the teachers' responses that this is unusual. I don't even find it that great--my DD's penmanship and ability to compose were much better at this age. I think it's because he's a boy that people flip out a little.

DS's handwriting looks more similar to the first linked example. Now, as he is 5.7, after working the whole school year at it. It's hard for me to understand "normal" or "average" because the display board with the class examples look really pretty and neat.

One problem is that DS doesn't care at all what his handwriting looks like. I don't care, either, as long as it portrays information necessary. And he is quite impatient, so he just writes quickly instead of carefully. Coloring is the same. He still just scribbles because to color nicely takes WAAAY too long to him. He just wants to finish.

Maybe I should start him on a typing computer game this summer as I'm sure that will eventually be part of his necessary tools.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.