Originally Posted by Mana
What I find frustrating about all of this is that many bright children (often boys) get a mental block about reading and school in general by the time they are in 1st grade as they see that most of their classmates are gaining reading fluency rapidly while they are still struggling.

So while I wish I could say relax and don't worry about it, "remediation" over summer might help boost his confidence going into 1st grade.

Thank you for this suggestion. Indeed, I feel we will be required to work on reading, writing, and probably even spelling over the majority of the summer. I think if I keep instruction to less than 1 hour total per day it won't be too burdensome but still effective. There is also a ton of redshirting here and DS is almost the youngest in the class. In a way I wonder if all this trouble will be beneficial as he will naturally be already 1-2 years younger than his classmates as he advances, which might help with future boredom. The problem is keeping him from hating school in the meantime.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.