Overall, I'd say don't worry - nothing you've described sounds out of the ordinary for a gifted student (even for a PG student - some children read early, other children are busy observing or building or whatever and don't start reading until they're ready to).

What I do wonder about is what prompted the testing for possible LD - was it your decision based on what looked like underachievement in school, or did the school suggest testing? Is your ds generally happy or ok with school, or is he having meltdowns over school work? Has he said that schoolwork is hard?

The reason I ask those questions is - I have 2e kids with LDs. Nothing you've said *on it's own without other reasons for concern* really indicates anything is up - other than the possibility that you've landed in a school that is too all-about-achievement and test scores, which (jmo) isn't usually a good match for most early elementary students. However, if you've seen any other signs such as behavior issues, complaints of work being too difficult (when you'd expect it would be easy work based on your ds' ability), or if a teacher has expressed concerns, then I'd take another look at the test results. Teasing out LDs at this age is tough - most students aren't diagnosed until they are at least in 2nd-3rd grade, and with gifted children who can compensate well sometimes it's much later before anyone recognizes an LD.

polarbear