[Edited because I responded to the wrong post.]

My daughter is similar but different. Her issues are handwriting, drawing, and anxiety that turn her into a big bully magnet. Handwriting and drawing seem to be everything in K.

Because she "presents" smart, the fact that she has trouble with a lot of fine motor and spacial skills (even things like putting a box in a small cubbyhole), are seen as behavior issues(not following directions, not doing work). She likes learning but does not feel like she is good in school and wants to be homeschooled.

To handle her asynchronousity (is that a word?) We have researched and loaded an iPad with learning apps that let her progress at her own pace and satisfy her own interests without her having to write anything down.

She learns a ton from that iPad and she never feels she is "working." Also, because she makes the choices, I don't have to be involved. This is good because I do feel anxiety. I don't want her to lose her strengths because they have to sink to the level of her weaknesses. Since she makes the choices about what she learns, I don't have to worry about her feeling pushed.

I've found providing materials at home that support her interests have just been everything for her--and as long as you don't force, I think it really works. We don't touch writing (my child's weakness), just offer her more access to the things she's interested in.

We're not ignoring the weaknesses (doing PT), but she doesn't feel defined by that.

Last edited by Questions202; 04/11/14 11:01 AM. Reason: commented on wrong question