Originally Posted by ultramarina
Wow...retention. I was not aware that there were Ks now threatening this over not being able to read. When you sat level D, do you mean level D Fountas and Pinnell, like here? http://www.readinga-z.com/readinga-z-levels/level-correlation-chart/ I'm not intimately familiar with levels (my kids' schools have not concentrated on this, at least for them) but that seems like a high bar to pass K!!

My DS (K) is expected to count to 100, IIRC, and to skip count, and facts to 10, but I don't believe they would retain unless he could not count to 10 or recognize letters or behavior was very immature indeed. I don't KNOW this. Just a feeling. As for writing, they do indeed work on it but there are a lot of kids who can't.

That level D looks maybe similar to a little harder that the accelerated reader books. The one I saw for him had lots of words like looked, chair, and said. I can't figure out these levels at all, TBO, because I'm still of the mind they should be learning how to read with phonics.

I'm not certain if she mentioned retention because it was a likely possibility or a distant one and she didn't want us to be surprised at the end of the year.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.