Our school has one Certified Gifted Teacher who is shared between 3 Districts. Better than nothing, I suppose.

Our District is also piloting Renzulli for 5th and 6th. Not sure what to think about that. At least it's something even if they're just pawning the brightest kids off to a glorified search engine. It's always going to be something like that for TaG kids; higher level books, magazines and games or a trumped up computer program. I shouldn't expect much actual meaningful human to kid contact at this point. That's why we're in the school doing what we do.

I hope to get an Odyssey of the Mind Team approved and funded. The problem with doing after school programs for SNAP [Student Needs Assessment Profile with a resultant SLP] is everyone wants in! It was an issue with Lego Engineering this past spring. A parent of a non-SNAP kid wanted her DS in. She told Admin she was putting her kid in the group and they could call the police to have him removed if they wanted to. She did and they didn't. It was an uncomfortable situation.

That's how desperate folks are for meaningful programs beyond teaching to the No Child Left Behind standard. No Child Left Behind and Gifted Kids Leveled Downward is more accurate. Pfft!

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin