I can't speak for all schools quoting the ultra-high GT percentages, but in our 40% GT district, there are no SLPs or IEPs for *any* GT kids. Only kids with LDs or other disabilities get those. GT kids get the standard one-hour-once-a-week pullout starting in 4th grade (in math only). There is nothing individualized, unless the teacher chooses to differentiate. (Some do this reasonably well, some do absolutely nothing.)

In 5th grade, they add a language arts and science pullout once a week (or they used to--I haven't checked since they changed the first math pullout from 3rd to 4th this year, so that may be different now), and in 6th grade, the math pullout becomes their daily math class. But even the pullout is not differentiated for HG+ kids. They get the same material the MG kids get at the same time. Period.

It's pretty sad, really. And our elementary school is supposedly one of the more GT friendly schools in the district. They let one child grade skip--the only one in the district, apparently--so they clearly support all GT kids, right?

Yeah, right...

To be honest, even thinking about it depresses me. frown

Kriston