[quote=Kriston]It's all too common, I'm afraid. We have the same problem. In fact, our district is like Dazey's in that they're pretty much hostile to all parents, not just parents of GT kids, at least in terms of volunteering and being on school grounds. They want our money for the eternal fundraisers, but that's about it.

Very, very sad. I just don't see how that could be productive for the school. Gather a group and start voting their budget down and see how things will turn to your favor. <evil grin>

Our school's PTO is starting a Volunteer Committee. The goal is to get parents, and even relatives or friends of parents, who are talented or skilled in a certain area to do one or two shot clinics for the kids; sort of like an extended or enhanced career day [altho it would be in the evening]. We have chefs, geologists, photographers, historians... Most folks can't commit to run an 8 or 12 week program but many can offer up a couple of hours once or twice to share what they do and what they know.

Thank goodness my school lets us do this sort of stuff.

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin