We didn't skip two grades at once, but had a somewhat comparable situation (8yo in 5th grade). Have you done achievement testing with your son? Obviously, a highly gifted student will learn things very quickly, but I'm wondering why the push for two grades instead of one for the skip? Honestly, I'd have some hesitation. It wasn't a big deal for my first dd to be younger compared to her classmates, but I did find that her overall maturity wasn't really where it needed to be. There was no bad ending - she got through HS, went to college on full scholarship, worked for three years, and will be starting her PhD program in the fall at 23-but I don't know that I'd choose that route again. Our second dd started teaching in TFA at 20 (after college) and she will be going to law school at 22 after 2 years in the work force. And yet... I always felt that being a year or two older would have helped them, and I felt that even more strongly for my boys (we chose not to accelerate our significantly younger boys after choosing that route with our girls). Ds11 is very gifted, but we've managed to find accommodations that work (doing algebra in 6th, instead of 7th or 8th; strong gifted program) and I think he benefits from being with his age-mates. I might be over-reacting based on my own situation (ds is also "bouncy and talkative"), but I find that there is so much more to MS and HS than just academic ability. I'd also be-potentially- concerned about your ds's processing speed. It may cause no problem whatsoever, but it could affect him when he has much greater reading demands, timed in-class essays, etc...
I truly don't mean to be negative. As I said, for the most part, my dds' experience turned out well overall and I don't know that we had a better option at the time, but my understanding of having an 11- or 12-year old in high school is much more comprehensive now than it was when we made the decisions. I was absolutely correct about the academics (neither has "hit the wall" there), but I wasn't as aware of everything else. In any case, there aren't any perfect solutions in these cases, so whatever you decide, I'm sure your son will be okay. smile I hope the board will help you find a lot of great resources!