Huckleberry, I told you about my dd's experience in my original reply to this post - she had a high WPPSI, was retested and had significantly lower scores across the board on the WISC. The thing that was similar on both tests was that her subtest scores were very consistent (with the exception of two that were relatively low due to vision issues). I didn't mention it before, but will mention it now that the psych who tested her was also frequently used by parents wanting to get into our school district's gifted program, and was not considered to be a reliable psych for gifted testing (there were concerns among school district staff that scores from some psychs were inflated specifically to help kids get into the program, and those scores didn't hold up over the years, and the kids who came in to the program with scores from those psychs sometimes did not succeed and had to be asked to leave. We weren't at the psych for gifted testing - we'd pursued the psych appointment because our dd was having severe anxiety, and the high WPSSI scores at 5 were a surprise to us. The later scores held up much more in line with where we think is our dd's true ability level.

That said, our dd has been extremely successful in school. She's in an academically rigorous program, is an extremely conscientious student, gets straight As, and is very motivated to do well in school. She doesn't have DYS (or even highly gifted) ability scores, and I doubt she'll score as high on the SAT as a highly gifted student will - but she has a lot of options for advanced work in secondary school simply because she is an engaged and successful student and I suspect if she keeps doing well she'll have a great selection of college programs to choose from too. I am not convinced at all that if she had continued to score sky-high on ability tests that she'd be in any essentially different position academically. While she is not in need of the uber-acceleration and intellectual stimulation that her EG brother craves, she's still an incredibly successful, happy student. So I would be careful not to put a filter on what you think a child is capable of accomplishing simply based on whether or not they have a gifted IQ.

Best wishes,

polarbear