Originally Posted by polarbear
Can you tell us a little bit about your child - what are your concerns about your local schools, what is he/she doing now, does he/she start K next year or is he in school this year? And I just realized.. if I look back at your other posts I could probably find that info! I apologize, I don't have time to do that right now - will do it later. I was just thinking we might be able to help with more specific advice that would be helpful now rather than guesstimating whether or not a WPSSI score will stand the test of time.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Gladly. My dd4.9 is intense, creative, bright and exhausting. She is an only child and has had me at home with her since day 1. She started to grasp things quickly but to what extent I wasn't so sure. I thought it was cute that she could do things earlier than what Babycenter predicted but I wasn't convinced that she was gifted. Nevertheless, like I stated above. we had her tested "just in case" and she scored a FSIQ154 (with subtests high enough to comfortably hold on the blackjack table) which at the time didn't even register with me. I mean I knew she was bright but compared to Fred Tate, she didn't compare;) However, when I researched giftedness I started to appreciate the varying degrees of giftedness and how each SD away would potentially require that much more specialized planning.

As I was starting to make some sense of what we are dealing with it was also pretty evident that our local school would not be an option, and that sent us scurrying to the local G-privates trying to get her in before the spring deadlines. (Didn't like to make this decision so quickly, especially since we had to borrow from her college fund to pay for kindergarten(!).

This is where the research started to become faith. I know that in theory being surrounded by other gifted children, learning at a faster pace and with more depth would be ideal, but we're placing a large wager on her best perceived option. We've already enrolled her at the G-School and have made the commitment for year one, so I won't allow myself to second guess, but I will say that had the score come in around,125-130, we would have very likely went in another direction.