Huckleberry, I may be in the minority here, but one of my dds had her WPPSI score (taken at 4.5) decrease significantly - across the board - when she was tested with the WISC in 2nd grade. She's also since then taken the WJ-III Test of Cognitive Abilities and it is more in line with her WISC score than her WPSSI, and her experiences in school lead me to believe the super-high WPSSI scores (for her) weren't accurate. OTOH, I haven't heard of many other kids *at all* who've had the same experience.

JMO, but I wouldn't think too much about the WPSSI scores for now, but instead take the queues from your child. Honestly, even if the scores do hold up and were 100% accurate... it will most likely be tough to predict now where your child will need to be in a few years - children and their needs are all so different, and IQ #s are only one part of what makes up your child. Even two kids with the same IQ likely have very different strengths and challenges.

FWIW, the way I've always understood the "third grade" bar is that it doesn't mean all kids are thought to suddenly be the same iq/ability... but instead means that around 3rd grade is the time you start to see most kids fall into where they will ultimately be based on ability - so for instance, a child who started reading late but is going to be a great ahead-of-grade-level student in reading will be at that level by 3rd grade - but way back in kindergarten might not have been reading yet. Another child, otoh, who started reading at three might not end up in the "top" reading group in third grade because they were an early reader, but weren't ultimately a hugely-over-the-top-in-ability reader. That's a bit of an exagerated example to make a point - but fwiw, that type of "evening out" absolutely did happen in my children's classes.

Can you tell us a little bit about your child - what are your concerns about your local schools, what is he/she doing now, does he/she start K next year or is he in school this year? And I just realized.. if I look back at your other posts I could probably find that info! I apologize, I don't have time to do that right now - will do it later. I was just thinking we might be able to help with more specific advice that would be helpful now rather than guesstimating whether or not a WPSSI score will stand the test of time.

Best wishes,

polarbear