If you read the book I think it goes into more detail about a low correlation between IQ scores in preschool and IQ scores later on. It's not just about academic success. I believe the book, as that has been my personal experience with one of my kids. Even if DS had been cooperating nicely on the test in preschool, I seriously doubt that his score would have been anywhere near what it was 2 years later. At 6, I can still see a lot of development in areas like speech/language so it wouldn't surprise me if his verbal IQ goes up in the future and the huge gap that currently exists starts to close. He has a 27 point gap between verbal and non-verbal, currently.

Here's another article http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/nyregion/25bigcity.html?_r=0

Here's a comment that someone wrote in response to an article--I found it interesting:

"*I administer some of these tests*

One thing research is showing us (and, anecdotally, I've seen in kids I've worked with) is that very young children who've had "many advantages" test high on the verbal portions of tests and on the crystallized intelligence parts (most closely related to general knowledge). On tests where these areas are give heavy weighting (or tests that look at these areas only) these children test as gifted. On tests that are made of other sup groupings (such as a performance scale, visual spatial skills, etc) the scores are more in line with *actual* ability (because no amount of enrichment can raise these skills much). So a child may have an over all GIA that looks to be in the superior range, but on close analysis the subtest scores suggest enhanced verbal ability pulling the GIA from average / above average into that superior range. At the moment we report these kids as "gifted in verbal ability" and expect to see them settle somewhere closer to the mean over time.

My personal working theory is if they can't muster a superior or very high average score in the tests that relate to inductive and deductive logic and fluid reasoning type tasks (that can't be substantially improved with teaching/enrichment) then the case for giftedness is questionable."