Agree with Ultramarina - intelligence, last I looked, wasn't distributed by a parent's income level. We're not a six-figure income household either.

2e kids who are pg/prodigy like my ds seem to be real outliers of outliers of outliers. These are the kids who beat to a different drum in a formalized school setting no matter where they are. Can't see my son being in school again for some time.

2e kids like my son muddy these waters. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure this out because there are other skills involved here besides high IQ. Behavioral optometrist tested my ds's visual skills in Dec and he scored in the whopping 1% percentile on one subtest that involved visual working memory. On one academic achievement test, he scored in the 98/99% percentile, though he didn't entirely cooperate with that test.

Prodigies don't necessarily have high IQ. Some do. Some don't. IQ, alone, is not the defining factor here.

Some have speculated that prodigies have exceptional working memory, within 99% percentile, and that is the defining factor. But there are flaws with this argument too. First, there are many parts of working memory. There's visual and verbal working memory. Second, the prodigies, pg kids, or other kids who have been studied influence the outcome or results.

Tracy Alloway, who's written a book on wm, hasn't studied prodigies or pg kids. Joanne Ruthsatz has studied prodigies, such as Jake Barnett and other, and has come up with some traits. However, her sample of prodigies is still small - http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/pur...tz-on-the-common-trait-of-all-prodigies/

My issue is that working memory experts claim that wm plays a huge role with education and learning. They claim that if a child has poor or weak working memory it's a reliable indicator of who would struggle in the classroom and is a predictor of future success. Yet, this isn't the case with my ds; he's not struggling to learn per se. DYS accepted the work samples as evidence of pgness, though he lacked the test scores for entry into DYS.

I haven't contacted Dr. Ruthsatz yet. But I will.