Thanks CFK - I was wondering about Jake Barnett with the non-STEM part. I didn't think he had the background for it either based on his mother's book. And yes, I'd say he's more savant-like than prodigy, though I can see why people classify him as a prodigy. Early college is seen as being an indication of a prodigy, but I agree that there are shades of gray with that classification.

Ultramarina - I've read Far From the Tree, Scott Kaufman's book, Ungifted, and been thinking about this as well due to my ds8. So I can commiserate with you. Yes, it's definitely not easy when it's your kid and even more challenging when it's a field/subject that is far from your proverbial tree. It does and can happen though. Genes can skip a generation or around. Funny and/or unusual things can happen in utero and affect them for life that pushes them into another world.

Here's Solomon's NY Times article on (classically trained musical) prodigies - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/magazine/how-do-you-raise-a-prodigy.html?pagewanted=all

That's very true about your point with Einstein, Newton, etc. - we don't always have the ability to recognize and nurture extreme talent at all times and places in history. Part of it is being born at the right time and right place. It's chance and happenstance. Still, it seems some of these 'prodigies' blossom regardless of when and where they're born. They're just so driven and determined, it seems.

An omnibus prodigy is one with a multitude of talents. That's rarer than a musical prodigy, for example, which tend to be more singular talent in nature - and significantly less studied too. Ainan Cawley and Tanishq Abraham are touted rare types, omnibus prodigies. Their talents cross many domains.

I think with math and someone like Tao, it's just easier to identify as a pg and/or prodigy (both labels have been applied to him). Tao's father gave some guidance and mentorship, but more importantly was able to identify the prodigiousness. There probably are other Tao-like kids around who are not being identified by their parents or picked up on by schools for a number of reasons. Remember, too, we know about Tao, in particular, because Miraca Gross studied him (http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10116.aspx).

Tanishq Abraham is being homeschooled by his parents who have also been successful at helping him. Still, geographically, the family lives in CA which has also played a huge role too. He's got more opportunities than someone living in other parts of the world.

Taylor Wilson's parents moved to Davidson Academy so he could pursue studying nuclear fusion (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-02/boy-who-played-fusion?nopaging=1). Naturally, not everyone is in a position to move across the country or is willing to do so. IF he didn't move to Davidson or if didn't contact certain people who were willing to help, he probably would have been hampered in his abilities.

There's no musical prodigy without usually instruments in the house. So exposure has to be a huge factor. You don't own a piano, your child isn't going to be able to practice playing it then. You don't play or listen to classical music; your kid/s aren't going to suddenly start composing it.

I don't know where the line is between an omnibus prodigy and/or pgness. I don't know if one exists. There seems to be a lot of slipperiness with these definitions and classifications. And not many studies at all, except on those classical, musical prodigies.

I think prodigies still need to be encouraged and their gifts/talents fostered. But there's a line and a balance in life, which I think Tao's parents realized and tried to address - or at least that's what I've read (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/s...ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&_r=0). And you do have to think about the child's emotional/social well-being irrespective of their prodigiousness.

What I also noticed from the various readings is that musical prodigies (who seem to be studied the most) start very early, like in infancy, toddlerhood, or as a preschooler (3/4 yrs old). STEM prodigies seem to flourish a little later in their field, around 6-11 years old. Taylor Wilson built his first bomb at 10.