Originally Posted by DeeDee
I'd probably make a list ahead of time of all the things that YOU think are working well, and why. As well as any needs that are not being met.

How does your partial homeschooling work, and in what regard are they not happy? Who exactly is not happy? (Everyone, or just someone?)

How have they knocked him down in the past?

DeeDee

DS goes to school in the morning. He has 1 academic subject there and after lunch he goes home where he has the rest of his academic subjects. They are not happy that we are doing this at all. They (principal, some teachers) are most concerned because other families are finding out and they are concerned that lots of other families are going to do the same. This is ludicrous for lots of reasons. The real issue is that they don't want other families to find out because it will be apparent to them that we are partial homeschooling because the school refuses to meet DS's needs. The school prides itself on meeting everyone's needs, so this does not fit together well.

The way that they knock him down is to criticize him and put him down because he is not "perfect"....and they believe that he should be because he is PG. So, they pull out worksheets that DS completed where he got a bunch wrong and say things like, "He's not as smart as you think." Or they say that DS is only interested in physics because we bribe him (really - they have said this..."what child would be interested in quantum physics?! It's completely boring to a 6 year old. You are obviously paying him to be interested in it, for your own ego.")

Really these meetings have become a flogging of sorts. We arrive and they just start the assault on how poorly we are doing with homeschooling. It is apparent to them because DS "can't" do the grade level worksheets at school. So they are pushing to get him back full time. No matter that we had him tested and he is ready to jump 2 grade levels ahead.

Anyway, I always remain calm but it is upsetting, I always come out feeling like DS is just a game piece to them. I always try to steer the conversation back to facts, data and my son's needs.