What is almost beyond belief, here? The regular admissions office's requirements meant that I more or less HAD to accompany DD to campus to straighten this out.

Okay, so that fixed, we head over to the honors college, where the adcom has assured DD that all will be well once admissions has acted... that as long as we get it settled "this afternoon" (meaning Fri) that she should be able to get it sorted.

Okay, but since she's 14, the adcom at honors is-- I strongly suspect-- looking for reasons to question her maturity/independence. Me being WITH her was a problem.

Which is crazy. A snag like this-- most 17 and 18yo students would have brought a parent along, too. I wasn't even talking to them (well, at least until the adcom started taking some potshots at her over this being some kind of "lesson" for her, virtual school being the "reason" why she is graduating so "early" etc.) Yeah, at that point, yes I did point out that those statements were unwarranted assumptions. Ultimately, it wound up that well, NO, she wasn't sure that anything was going to be "fixed" at all. MAYBE early next week. As long as it was clear to both of us that they would be doing us a "big favor" in even LOOKING at her application now, since "early round slots" have been FILLED... frown It was surreally different from what DD had been told (in three separate conversations with the same individuals) over the phone between 9 and noon.

DD's faculty mentor (a full prof in one of the most powerful colleges on campus, and a huge women-in-STEM advocate) is meeting with her this morning... and has promised DD that she will "fix it."

I hope so. If the dean of the honors college refuses to make right the error on the part of Admissions, then the Provost probably will need to learn of it. That's been the private word from faculty and emeritus faculty in our circle of acquaintances. They are universally appalled at how DD was handled.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.