{shrug} No offense, but I don't think that anyone suggested that you weren't acting appropriately for your own circumstances. smile

We have kept my child from B&M schooling in order to keep her from a daily risk of death. Believe me, I get it.

It's just that most parents are NOT in those kinds of circumstances, and it's quite easy to convince parents to be fearful for their children. If local schools are that dangerous to a child without any particular difference that would make them more vulnerable than their peers... then what on earth is the local neighborhood like?? If the neighborhood is nice, then who the heck is at the local SCHOOL that makes it unsafe by comparison?

That's all I meant or intended.

I don't think that "fear" is a great reason to homeschool. Not for most people. Homeschooling should IDEALLY be see as a good thing, not as a last-resort that just happens to be better than a horrifyingly unacceptable alternative. Doesn't always work out that way, of course... but ideally, that's the case.

It's the same reason why it's always a good idea to examine a school placement with the idea that "there's always homeschooling." Desperation and feeling that you have NO alternative/choice is seldom good.

Neither a bad school placement nor relatively isolationist homeschooling is ideal as far as socialization goes, I think everyone agrees.

Neither homeschooling NOR B&M schooling automatically produces social benefits-- inherently. It's situational.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.