Our situation: DS7 has been accelerated 3 years in math at school. We had quite a long and painful process to get this accommodation. We have no other accommodations in place at school. We partially homeschool in the afternoons. We have been doing the partial homeschooling since the beginning of the year. The math acceleration has been happening for about a month.

This week, I was called to a meeting at school. There were 6 staff members present. The issue? They don't want us to continue with the partial acceleration - they are very afraid that word will get out and other families will want to do the same. Also, they recently evaluated his reading level. Turns out he is below grade level. So, this is evidence that the partial homeschooling is not working. Also, they want to discontinue the math acceleration. DS is forgetting to bring his homework assignments home. And no, they will not remind him to bring it home. He attends a 5th grade class, they will treat him like a 5th grader.

Never mind that he was formally tested with a full battery of achievement and 2E tests. Never mind that our tester recommended that he skip 2 grades.

So, I am really at the end of my patience with the school. I would like to just pull DS out now and homeschool him 100%. My biggest concern is that he LOVES his friends. He is an incredibly social child and I am really worried that he will miss his friends terribly. I know that he can see them afterschool and on weekends. But he will really, really miss riding the bus and eating lunch with them. How does one homeschool a highly social child?