Originally Posted by KADmom
I can respond to this by relaying what I've been told (by a teacher) is happening in my local school: kindergarteners are made to sit through a 90 minute ELA block half of which is a power point presentation. Toys are out, naps are out. This apparently is statewide, or at least I've seen this 90 minute block announced on other state school's websites.

I find it quite ridiculous. I can barely sit through a 90 minute presentation.

I've heard other stories such as developmentally inappropriate language on tests, but right now they're just stories.

But this is a problem with the school (or maybe a number of schools), not the Common Core. The standards don't say anything about PowePoint presentations or long classes in kindergarten.

Yes, a 90 minute class in Kindergarten is ridiculous. I'd actually like to see that. Can you send a link?

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect kindergartners to be able to write capital letters. I remember doing that at that age. All the other kids at my table could do it. I don't remember obvious struggling (which I do remember in reading class the next year).