Originally Posted by Irena
Originally Posted by Val
Well, apart from the outright lie about who wrote the standards.

That's what I found disturbing... I haven't had time to look into yet but a co-worker and I were wondering if that were true.. It isn't?

It is most emphatically NOT true. It was a blatant baldfaced lie.

The math standards committee was heavily composed of mathematicians. It was headed by this guy (William McCallum), head of the math department at the University of Arizona. Look at his CV (link on the left) if you doubt his math credentials. The co-chair is a professor of math and physics at Bennington College. Then there are Hung-Hsi Wu, a professor emeritus of mathematics at UC Berkeley and Roger Howe, a mathematician at Yale.

The list of committee members is listed here. It's composed of mathematicians and educators.

I know an astrophysicist at San Jose State who told me that one of his colleagues was involved in writing the science standards. Etc.

These standards are serious and were written by people who know their subjects. Finally, we get a meaningful and serious attempt at fixing the schools in this country, and the idiots willfully ignorant people out there are doing everything they can to undermine it. My biggest fears about the Common Core are that the schools and the textbook companies won't be up for them.