Bingo, Val.

I ran across this criticism of this movement courtesy of a rather annoyed Arne Duncan, and frankly, I laughed out loud.

Arne Duncan: White Suburban Moms upset that Common Core shows their kids aren't brilliant.

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan told a group of state schools superintendents Friday that he found it “fascinating” that some of the opposition to the Common Core State Standards has come from “white suburban moms who — all of a sudden — their child isn’t as brilliant as they thought they were, and their school isn’t quite as good as they thought they were.”

cool Yes, yes, yes.

Criticism about the implementation is one thing. But most of these parents ranting and raving about Common Core are just mad that their precious snowflakes don't look so good now that actual standards are involved.

I personally have some concerns about CC-- I think that you'd have to be a little crazy the OTHER direction not to-- but they aren't because I think that the standards are: a) too rigid, or b) too high. Nor are my concerns based upon the idea that there should NOT be national curricular standards, which I think are an awesome idea. I'm more worried about the corporate players that are involved in the implementation phase of things, developing and copyrighting curriculum, testing-testing-testing, etc, with no free market to regulate quality.

The comments on this op-ed are particularly biting/insightful. I highly recommend those, too.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.