Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I wonder if there is any data anywhere showing which states have the best performance in math/reading.

PSAT statistics probably come closest to this, because there is no superscoring or anything to muddy the waters.

Take a look at what the "cut" scores are-- but unfortunately, they aren't parsed into verbal versus math-- it's a composite value.

Still--- if you look at just Massachusetts and Mississippi, you can see that there is quite a spread of expectations and performance by the time kids reach high school.

I know I saw somewhere data at one point showing MN and Massachusets (and a couple other states) to be the highest performers. I'll look for it again. An international math test? With any test, it would have to be controlled for race, socioeconomic status, etc. to get a true picture of how the curriculum is working. States with a large percentage of high income white people (or Asians?) will do best.
My brother says that everyone in TX in his kids' school finds the standardized tests to be extremely easy. He was shocked when I told him that something like 40 percent of kids aren't considered proficient in math here. Well, the test is harder. So let's say we wanted to move to a different state. How do we figure out what schools or districts would be comparable to our own? We can't, because the state tests are completely different.

Found it! You can click on states and get scores.

Last edited by blackcat; 11/19/13 12:51 PM.