Originally Posted by KADmom
I'm still digging in and trying to push past the lobbyists for a clearer view of what the CCS are.
I'm continuing to explore Common Core as well. The official website is here... (link- http://www.corestandards.org/). Meanwhile there is much written ABOUT Common Core from other sources. For example, in writing about Common Core, other sources state CCSS is a floor, not a ceiling, however I have not found anything in the CCSS official website which promotes, endorses, encourages, allows, acknowledges, or mentions the possibility of teaching beyond the CCSS for pupils demonstrating readiness and ability. Due to the absence of such statement, the CCSS appears to be one-size-fits-all and that may be a concern for the healthy development of children needing additional academic challenge.

If I understand correctly, States signed on before the CCSS was written... or in some cases while CCSS was in the process of being written but was not complete. Due to the timing, States could not consider the content or impact of CCSS, prior to signing on.